25 August 2011

SCHULTUTE - A FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL TREAT

To give the little ones a Schultute or Schultuele (sugar bag or sugar cone) on the first day of first grade is a German tradition.  These are typically filled with a few sweets and small treats.  Allison found this on-line knowing I would be as taken with this as she was.  With two of the grands, McLean and Maddison, starting first grade this year - a perfect new project!

I have used 12" paper mache cones, school themed stickers from 7Gypsies, Cosmo Cricket "Circa 1934" patterned paper, red crepe paper, some vintage ric rac and pom pom fringe (luv this stuff!), red Stickles and a bit of washi tape around the very tip.

There are any number of patterns for  cones on the internet if you need a pattern.  I simply laid the cone on the pp, rolled it across the paper while tracing the path with a pencil.  Cut it all out with pinking shears.  I found double-sided tape held the best and was less fussy.  I cut the end of a flat fold package of crepe paper at about 8".  Rolled that up and adhered it about three times around the inside of the cone.  The trims could be anything you imagine and as always do search out your scraps and stash!   Do have fun and let me know if you give this a try!  Post on your blog and I will send folks your way.


10 comments:

  1. All the kids get Schultüten here, and in the meantime, they get lots of big presents in them too, they get bigger and more expensive from year to year! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun tradition, Sandi! How exciting the kids are starting elem.school. These cones are so festive!! great job~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous creations and I bet the kids love them!!!! They look great Sandi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sandi these are delightful! I love what you've done, they little ones muct be so excited to get theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are just soo cute and here i thought i was the bomb mom by cutting my daughters sanwiches into hearts for her forst day....

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely - a great idea.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SAndi, the world would be a much better place if everything were covered in Pom-Pom trim. Just my opinion of course, but I think so! These are fabulous!!! I love them to death and I will be making some for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea! Wish I'd been aware of it oh-so many moons ago, when I was a young mother!
    These are simply precious, Sandi. Love 'em.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are right up my alley Sandi! I especially like the pom poms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh these are so sweet! What a lovely tradition and the ones you have here are gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments! Thank you so much!

Photobucket