10 December 2012

WINTER WONDERLAND - 1953!

Turquoise and red at the holidays always take me back to my childhood.  Mom always flocked our tree (using the vacuum) and often in a colour, I remember at least one turquoise tree!  I painted this 18" papier mache cone awhile ago and waited for inspiration to hit.  Off white acrylic paint for the lst coat, then "Weathered Wood" crackle medium (I adore this stuff!) with a turquoise acrylic on top.

Deb, a friend since childhood recently gifted me with cards that her mother received when she was in a TB sanitorium through 1953/54.  What a treasure trove!  Lucky me!  I adored Evelyn and feel extra special to be gifted these.  Amongst these I found the perfect special card to use - shiny red foil and a pop out snow scene!

The top is trimmed with a giant chenille stem which I wired on by punching holes every 2" and using regular chenille stems.  A bit of silver ric rac for glitter beneath that and around the edge of the card front.  I used Holly and Candy Cane Stickles to highlight the scene.  A glittery turquoise pom at the bottom and a vintage style chenille Santa complete the piece.  Yep, I guess I am not done with cones yet nor the chenille figures!


I am entering this in the Divas By Design "Let It Snow" challenge...this is a great challenge site if you are unfamiliar with it, do go and have a look,  the "Snowmen" challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks,  "Anything Goes As Long As It Is Festive" challenge at Whimsy Stamps

6 comments:

  1. Awesome door hanger! I love the colors and the images you used. It reminds me of the frosty the snowman movie. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks. Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous Sandi - I love these "cones" you have been creating!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty, Sandi! What a welcome sight at the door :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fantastic! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea thanks for playing at Divas by design hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for playing our snowman challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks, great job!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments! Thank you so much!

Photobucket